Fewer than 1 in 5 Italians Want Ports Reopened to Migrants

Fewer than 1 in 5 Italians Want Ports Reopened to Migrants

The survey commissioned by the Italian daily Corriere della Sera revealed that 60 percent said that in these cases it is the responsibility of the European Union (EU), while 13 percent said the duty lies with the NGO vessels that took the migrants aboard in the first place.

The issue of migration has returned to the political foreground in Italy with the ongoing saga of the two vessels operated by the NGOs Sea Watch and Sea Eye.

Of these, 80 percent want the government to stand by its absolute ban on new migrant landings even in the case of the vessels Sea Watch and Sea Eye, while the other 20 percent think an exception should be made for these 49 migrants.

In its analysis of the survey, Corriere della Sera said Italians continue to fear the uncontrolled mass immigration experienced in recent years and also resent what seemed to many a betrayal by the EU in failing to come to their assistance.

A poll conducted last February covering all 28 EU nations revealed an overwhelming concern over illegal immigration with more than three-quarters of EU citizens saying that Europe’s external borders should be better protected.

Please Help Us Keep this Site Running

Thank you for the donation

Powered by Stripe
Subscribe to our Newsletter

Latest News, Photos & Videos