Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday said that the idea that President Trump was a threat to national security was “absolutely ludicrous” after the New York Times reported that the FBI launched an investigation into whether Trump posed such a threat.
“I’m not going to comment on New York Times stories but I’ll certainly say this: The notion that President Trump is a threat to American national security is absolutely ludicrous,” Pompeo said on CBS’ "Face the Nation” in an interview to be aired Sunday.
The timing of the investigation raises questions as both Comey and FBI lawyer Lisa Page told House investigators last year that by the time the FBI director was fired and special counsel appointed, there was no hard evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.
Former law enforcement officials told the newspaper that the criminal and counterintelligence elements of the investigation were combined because Trump’s firing of the FBI director could constitute both a crime and a national security threat as it would hinder the agency’s abilities to learn how the Kremlin interfered in the 2016 election.
"The idea that's contained in The New York Times story that President Trump was a threat to American national security is silly on its face and not worthy of a response," Pompeo said