CHICAGO (AP) — An attorney for R. Kelly said Friday that the R&B star denies all allegations of sexual misconduct involving women and underage girls, including those made in a recent documentary, although he says neither he nor Kelly has watched the entire movie.
Attorney Steve Greenberg offered his most full-throated defense of the Grammy-winning recording artist since a prosecutor in Chicago this week urged potential victims to come forward after Lifetime aired the documentary “Surviving R. Kelly,” which revisited old allegations and brought new ones into the light.
“Surviving R. Kelly” follows the BBC’s “R Kelly: Sex, Girls & Videotapes,” which was released last year.
Greenberg harshly criticized Lifetime, accusing those who made “Surviving R. Kelly” of telling women what to say on camera, and ripped Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx for asking potential victims to come forward, saying that “invites wrongful accusations.” Foxx’s office said in a brief statement Friday that people have contacted prosecutors and that authorities are “following up on these calls.”
Greenberg noted the timing of documentary, after sexual misconduct allegations that have derailed the careers of several famous men.